Total Pageviews

Monday, February 10, 2014

Bikram Yoga!

When I was going to Queens I went to a lot of yoga classes, Kingston seemed to be filled with really good yoga studios. Since moving to Barrie I haven't really got back into the routine or found a yoga studio that I really liked, until I went to Bikram. One of my friends asked me to go with her to try it out, I enjoyed it so much I bought an unlimited membership.



You might be wondering what Bikram Yoga is?
Bikram is a sequence of 26 yoga postures and 2 breathing exercises done in a heated room, at this location 105 degrees. Each posture stretches and strengthens your body in preparation for the next posture. The heated room allows for deep stretching, this helps with muscles, ligaments and joints. The different postures move and massage internal organs, and align the spine.  Bikram yoga is also focused on strength of mind and determination.  



Bikram yoga can help: weight loss, stress, anxiety, depression, insomnia, immune deficiencies, skin conditions, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, arthritis, joint pain, chronic back pain, scoliosis, spinal injury, high cholesterol, heart disease, poor circulation, diabetes, hypoglycemia, sciatica, menstrual cycles, menopause, accident recovery, injury and pain, endocrine function, metabolism and emotional healing.

Yoga is becoming something I look forward to. It is an hour and a half where I get to relax, push myself, sweat and have "me" time. I feel great after the class and can't wait to go again. Yoga is helping me to manage my stress as well. 

3 comments:

  1. Just curious, what is the attendance like for guys as these yoga sessions? A bunch of my friends do it at home with P90X and such, but usually wouldn't go to a public session. Have you seen many guys at them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga is a mystery to me. It looks like a lot of bending and posing, but the people that do it all look great. What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan- There are usually 3-5 men at the classes, sometimes more. Classes are less female dominated than when I started going.

    Leo- Yoga is a lot of bending and posing, but it is a total mind body experience that is different for everyone. I would recommend trying it out!

    ReplyDelete